Andy's GroupWise 5/6
Last updated 2001-12-16
Here are a couple of links to the Novell recommended regular maintenance.
"TID 10008654-Regular database maintenance"
"TID 10008201-What regular database maintenance is necessary on a GroupWise System?"
Ensure that the PO and Domain objects have an appropriate GroupWise ID set as admin/postmaster to receive any system messages that the following routines will generate.
All GroupWise 6 system maintenance, MUST be performed using ConsoleOne. You can use ConsoleOne to perform GroupWise 5 maintenance if you have the snap-ins set up properly (see next point)
Make sure that your NWAdmin/ConsoleOne is properly snapped-in with the relevant GroupWise hooks so that you can go to the Tools menu and see 'GroupWise View' as an available option.
In NWAdmin/ConsoleOne, go to the details of the Post Office Agent (POA) object
- select Scheduled Events tab.
Enable and edit the Default POA Disk Check Event.
- Unless your running on a small system put the space limit to 999
- Enable and edit the Default POA Disk Check Actions.
- Expire/Reduce Messages, select only the trash limit to 7 days, include all items.
Note: If you want, you can make several Expire and Reduce Events that get
progressively more aggressive in their clean up as the space gets tighter.
Just keep in mind that when the event is running, the job itself uses up a bit of
drive space so don't space those events too close to each other (i.e. start with
999MB, then at 900, 800, .. etc.).
Enable and edit the Default POA Mailbox/Library Maintenance Event
- Set to Weekday, Saturday early AM, after the backup is complete.
- Enable and Edit Default POA Mailbox/Library Maintenance Actions.
- Analyze/Fix Databases, select Structure, Index Check, and Fix Problems in both User & Message databases.
Create another Weekly contents maint, type = Mailbox/Library Maintenance
- Trigger of Weekday, Saturday AM, after your backup and the previous job are finished or Sunday 12:01AMto be sure.
- Create... event Contents check
- Analyze/Fix Databases, Contents, Collect Statistics & Fix problems, in both User & Message databases
Notes:These events only have to be created once for the whole mail system and as such need to be done by a User with rights to the Primary Domain. They then only have to be activated on a POA by POA basis.
Do make sure you check the errors at the end of the Contents Check every once and a while to make sure there are no problems brewing!
Additional Relevent TIDs for reference:
10027846 - Scheduled Events for POA
10023861 - Secondary domain administrator cannot change or create scheduled events
10021870 - Changing a Scheduled Event on one POA affects all POA's in the system
| Handy little site: www.groupwise.org
This page is courtesy of Andy K. from: